After days of fighting, Israel and Gaza have agreed to a cease-fire.

A truce appears to be holding between Israel and Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip.

The Egypt-brokered ceasefire came after three days of fighting in which Israel targeted the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and militants fired rockets into Israel.

In the most violent flare-up since an 11-day confrontation in May 2021, at least 44 Palestinians were killed.

Israel began relaxing its siege on the Gaza Strip on Monday, allowing the first gasoline tankers to enter.

The latest round of violence began with Israeli assaults on Gaza Strip targets, which the Israeli military claimed were in reaction to threats from a terrorist organization. It came amid days of tensions following Israel’s arrest of a prominent PIJ member in the occupied West Bank.

By Sunday evening, the Palestinian health ministry had verified 15 deaths among the 44 documented.

The Gaza health ministry has accused “Israeli assault” for the deaths of Palestinians and the injuries of over 300 civilians.

Israel, for its part, claims to have attacked 170 PIJ targets during the Breaking Dawn operation, killing numerous high-ranking PIJ members and destroying tunnels and weapon storage locations.

According to an Israel Defense Forces (IDF) official, 35 Palestinians were killed: “11 of them were uninvolved civilian casualties, including the spouses of the terror group’s commanders in the south – victims of IDF attacks.”

“PIJ firing killed 15 more people,” Brig Gen Ran Kochav stated.

During the flare-up, 1,100 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip, with 200 landing within the territory, according to Gen Kochav.

During the flare-up, 1,100 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip, with 200 landing within the territory, according to Gen Kochav.

He stated that more Palestinians were killed by rockets that burst within the Gaza Strip than by IDF fire, and that Israel will probe the deaths of civilians, including children.

With the exception of a few persons who were moderately hurt by debris on Saturday, no Israeli casualties have been recorded.

Egypt, which has often served as a mediator between Israel and Gaza, negotiated the truce.

However, when it went into action late on Sunday, the Israeli military announced that it was targeting Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) targets in Gaza in response to rockets fired the day before.

In the minutes following the deadline, Israeli media reported isolated rocket fire from Gaza.

Leaders from the United States and the United Nations urged both parties to keep the truce in place.

US President Joe Biden commended the cease-fire and urged the sides to “completely execute [it] and guarantee fuel and humanitarian supplies are flowing into Gaza.”

He also requested that claims of civilian casualties be investigated as soon as possible.

Concerns about the humanitarian situation in Gaza, where health authorities warned that hospitals barely had enough fuel to power generators for two days, prompted the agreement on a ceasefire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *